Sync/Async Fiber Optic Modem
Call us for
Pre-sales and discount pricing
Sync/Async Fiber Optic Modem
- The FOM-8, Synchronous/Asynchronous Short Range
Modem, is used for local data distribution, connecting full or half duplex
Sync or Async DTEs to other DTEs, over fiber optic cable. FOM-8 operates
at data rates up to 19.2 kbps.
- FOM-8 performs diagnostic loops in compliance with
ITU V.54 standard. Two V.54 loops are available: analog loop (V.54 Loop 3)
and remote digital loop (V.54 Loop 2). The loops are activated by DTE
interface signals Circuit 141 (Pin 18) and Circuit 140 (Pin 21).
- Asynchronous transmission is provided by internal
conversion from Async to Sync in compliance with ITU V.22 bis standard.
Different Async formats are switch selectable.
- In the Synchronous mode, transmit timing is
provided by three alternative sources:
- Internal oscillator
- External clock
- Loopback clock derived from the receive signal.
- The modem's carrier can be strapped for either
continuous operation, or for switched operation. In switched operation,
the carrier is controlled by the RTS signal, and enables transfer of a
control signal end-to-end.
- FOM-8 is designed to operate with several grades
and sizes of fiber optic cable. Two different optical interfaces are
- 820 nm for use with multimode fibers
- 1300 nm for use with single mode fibers.
- FOM-8 incorporates all the advantages of a fiber
- Lower attenuation than with copper wires;
additionally, attenuation is not related to frequency.
- EMI/RFI immunity, which saves the cost of
expensive and heavy shielding and complex error checking devices.
- Security is almost absolute. The cost of data
encryption is reduced. Eavesdropping is virtually useless, as the fibers
generate negligible power.
- Safety and electrical isolation - no spark hazard
or ground-loop noise problems.
- Innovative circuitry design allows operation
without a power supply, by using ultra-low power from the standard
RS-232/V.24 data and control signals. For proper operation, both data and
at least one control signal must be connected. i.e. Transmit Data, Receive
Data, Signal Ground, and either RTS or DTR.
- FOM-8 is compatible with the CMN-CF8 card of the
19" CMN-16 modem rack.
- Synchronous or
- Data rates up to 19.2 kbps
- V.54 diagnostics, including local and remote tests
- Supports transmission over single mode or multimode
- Full or half duplex
- Plugs directly into the RS-232/V.24 connector
- Internal, external, or receive clock
- Ruggedized metal enclosure
- No AC power required
- Miniature, lightweight, easy to install
- Card version for 19" modem rack
Synchronous/Asynchronous Short Range Modem
||Specify 25-pin connector:
F for female
M for male
SMA for SMA connector
ST for ST connector
FC for FC connector
(Default is SMA connector)
13 for 1300 nm
(Default is 820 nm)
For discount pricing on RAD Data
email us at email@example.com
or call 301-924-7400