- S-TAU, Smart Trunk Access Unit, provides direct
physical and electrical connection between workstations and the Token Ring
network. Functioning as a passive wiring concentrator, S-TAU offers
star-shaped ring topology for eight users. For larger networks, several S-TAUs
can be linked together by connecting Ring In/Ring Out expansion ports.
- Insert and bypass functions are provided within the
unit. Insertion of a workstation into the ring occurs when the
workstation's network interface card or adapter provides a DC current
across the lobe cable to the lobe port of S-TAU. The station only accesses
the ring if the adapter and cable are fully operational.
- Each lobe is equipped with a status LED indicator,
indicating that a station is actively inserted into the ring, thus
simplifying diagnostics and troubleshooting. Bypassing of a lobe occurs
automatically whenever the lobe cable connection is removed or the station
becomes inactive or exits the network.
- Several options are available for installation at
either the Ring In (RI) or the Ring Out (RO) ports. These include:
- TFCs, Fiber Optic Converters, which allow
fiber connection between adjacent S-TAUs, or enable lobe connection of
S-TAU using fiber.
- TFRs, Fiber Optic Repeaters, which extend
the distance between adjacent S-TAUs to 3 km.
- TCRs, Copper Repeaters, which extend the
distance between adjacent S-TAUs to 750m on Type 1 cable.
- S-TAU operates without external power. However, an
external power supply is required for each RI or RO option above (see
- S-TAU is installed in a 19" rack mount enclosure.
The unit height is only 1U (1.75"), requiring minimal rack space.
- The standard S-TAU is provided with IBM data
connectors for use in an IBM cabling environment. Optionally, RJ-45
connectors can be supplied, for connection of Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP),
while retaining the self-shorting (bypass) feature.
- To ensure proper operation of S-TAU, a TST
pre-installation setup tool should be used. This small universal tool
should be ordered separately.
- Compatible with IBM Token Ring at 4 or 16 Mbps
- Complies with IEEE 802.5 standard
- No external power required
- Lobe insertion LEDs
- Supports 8 workstations
- Optional built-in repeaters
- 1U height for minimal rack space
- RJ-45 or IBM data connectors
Trunk Access Unit
||Specify Ring In option:
IF16 for TFR Fiber Optic Repeater
IC16 for TCR Copper Repeater
IT for TFC Fiber Optic Converter
||Specify Ring Out option:
OF16 for TFR Fiber Optic Repeater
OC16 for TCR Copper Repeater
OT for TFC Fiber Optic Converter
||Specify connector type:
RJ45 for RJ-45 connector
(Default is IBM data connector)
Note: All RI/RO options require PS-115/7.5/800 or
PS-230/7.5/800 power supply.
115 VAC power supply (for all RI/RO options)
230 VAC power supply (for all RI/RO options)
Pre-installation Setup Tool
Pre-installation Setup Tool for S-TAU with adapter cable for RJ-45
Note: One TST tool may be used for any number of S-TAUs.
Type-3 Media Filter